Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Laughter of the Gekko

The whole country has gone world-cup-marketing mad!

I was in PC World today and I came across shelves of England Computer Accessory Gift Packs.

Engerland...

Later I was in Sainsburys and there were several displays of what can only be described as worthless tat!

Engerland!

And yet people buy it. I’ve lost count of the number of houses swathed in often two or three St. George’s Cross flags. They are flying from a fair percentage of cars on the road. People wander by with St. George’s Cross baseball caps on, sunglasses, lapel pins, t-shirts, handbags, mobile phones, wrist watches, shorts and pretty much everything else you can think of – all of which will be binned or forgotten at the back of the closet two weeks after the World Cup is over, regardless of whether England win or lose the tournament.

What’s the point?

It’s not patriotism, it's just another way of extracting money from you for things you really, really don’t need!

I swear I am expecting the Visigoths to come sweeping in from Essex any day now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home